Bungling workmen set alight the roof to luxury Scottish boutique amid upgrade works

Pic credit: stv.tv

A fire started in the roof of luxury Scottish boutique Nira Caledonia yesterday after a roofer’s blowtorch is thought to have sparked the blaze and exploded a gas cylinder.

The four-storey hotel with 28 bedrooms in Gloucester Place was quickly evacuated, with no injuries reported.

Around 20 firefighters and five engines were called to the Georgian townhouse at 2.50pm on Tuesday.

Story continues below
Advertisement

Workmen on scaffolding are thought to have set alight a joist while working on the roof, sparking a fire which exploded the cylinder.

Flames were seen coming from the roof of the hotel, while workers alerted staff at the property who evacuated guests and neighbours.

Speaking to Edinburgh Evening News, concierge at Nira Caledonia, Zolton Kajos, said: “It was very smoky and we heard a bang like a bomb going off. The alarm went off and we were making sure everybody got out.

Head chef Gordon Inglis added: “The alarm went off and I just thought it was someone having a cigarette in their room but soon realised it was real and made sure all the guests got out.”

Formerly ‘Number Ten’, Nira Caledonia occupies two buildings on Gloucester Place and has been owned by Nira Hotels & Resorts since April 2011.

Nira Hotels & Resorts is a London-based boutique hotel management company which was launched by hotelier, MPS Puri, in March 2009.

 

 

Authors
TAG CLOUD , ,

*

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud

Related posts

Top