Dalmeny Hotel fined £16k after beautician went up in flames

A Lancashire hotel has been fined £16,000 after an employee became a human torch as she manicured an elderly woman’s nails. 

Dalmeny Hotel spa manager Julia McKeown was engulfed in flames when fumes from the acetone she was using were ignited by a scented candle, according to a report in the Lancashire Evening Post. 

She spent three months in hospital undergoing skin grafts and still suffers from post traumatic stress from the incident at the hotel, which is in Lytham St Annes. 

Story continues below

District Judge Joanne Hirst sitting at Blackpool Magistrates Court heard how the beautician suffered burns to her hands arms, chest and stomach – some of them full thickness burns, the LEP reported.

Before the court was the company which runs the hotel which admitted three breaches of the Health and Safety Act by exposing Julia McKeown and other staff to risks and failing to make risk assessments.

The case against the family-run hotel was brought by Fylde Council after incident was reported to them.The Dalmeny Hotel Ltd was also ordered to pay  £9075 court costs.

The judge was told that Mc Keown had been employed at the Dalmeny since 2006. Since the incident she has returned to work there but has taken out a compensation claim against the Dalmeny.




Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud