Kitchen fire breaks out at Babington House

 A fire broke out at popular Somerset boutique, Babington House on Saturday morning.

The fire is reported to have started in the kitchen of the 10-bed Georgian house hotel, caused by burning fat in a tray. Fire crews arrived from Frome, Shepton Mallet, Bath and Paulton shortly before 9.30am and were able to quickly control the blaze.

The luxury boutique is a popular choice for many A-list stars and has hosted a selection of celebrity weddings, including that of Oscar-winning actor Eddie Redmayne and Hannah Bagshawe, which took place just before Christmas.

Story continues below

Babington House is owned by London members’ club Soho House.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "On arrival, crews confirmed alarms activating within the property and the kitchen was heavily smoke logged. Fire crews got to work with four breathing apparatus, one hose reel, positive pressure ventilation fans and a C02 extinguisher.

"The fire was located in the ground-floor kitchen caused by burning fat in a tray. The kitchen suffered slight fire and smoke damage. Fire crews requested an ambulance due to four people suffering from smoke inhalation and administered oxygen therapy to the casualties."



Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud