close

Soho House’s Kettner’s Townhouse closes restaurant to general public

Kettner

Kettner’s Townhouse, owned and operated by Soho House, has closed its Soho restaurant to the general public just over a year after opening.

The 33-bedroom boutique launched in January 2018 after an extensive two-year refurbishment spearheaded by members’ club founder Nick Jones and his team, with the hotel and restaurant and Champagne bar opening to the public.

Now the restaurant and lounge space is set to stay open for hotel guests and Soho House members only, with just the Champagne bar for use by the public.

Story continues below
Advertisement

A spokesperson for Soho House told the Standard: “Kettner’s hasn’t been closed to the public, though we have turned the dining room into a more relaxed meeting space for our members and public bedroom guests to use.

The historic Champagne bar is still open to everyone, serving the same menu. We’re proud to have brought the building back to life last year, keeping the 150 year old Kettner’s story going.”

In 2018, Soho House founder Nick Jones told the Standard that the new Kettner’s Townhouse was to be “all about affordable glamour”.

“We initially thought: ‘Shall we just make it part of Soho House?’”, said Jones, “but we binned that idea, because Soho loves Kettner’s.”

Kettner’s Townhouse houses a French-inspired eatery and a Champagne bar, with original mosaic tiled floor and early-deco 1920’s design.

French glass lights, a walnut bar with a marble top, sofas, armchairs, and vintage photos decorate the cocktail bar and lounge.

Each bedroom has been individually designed inspired by the 1920s in a French boudoir style. They have original Georgian timber floorboards and fireplaces, with heritage windows and vintage pieces.

1920’s chandeliers hang from the ceilings, with antique sinks and vanities in the rooms. Specially made furniture, green velvet scalloped headboards and deep button armchairs, sit alongside hand-painted Georgian-inspired wallpaper and William Morris prints.

The Grade-II listed building, which was first established in 1867 by Auguste Nettner, was acquired from restaurant chain Pizza Express who owned the property prior the Soho House takeover.

Tags : Kettners TownhouseSoho House
Zoe Monk

The author Zoe Monk

Leave a Response