Spanish tourist dies after suspected gas leak at London boutique


Spanish tourist dies after suspected carbon monoxide leak at London boutique

A Spanish tourist has died and his friend in critical condition after a suspected carbon monoxide at a four-star family-owned boutique hotel in London.

Marcos Servera Menendez was pronounced dead at the scene at The Mayflower Hotel in Kensington while his friend Esteban Garcia was taken to hospital and is in an induced coma.

Story continues below

Metropolitan Police have confirmed they were called to an incident at a hotel in the area on Monday which was evacuated and said initial tests have showed a ‘high level’ of carbon monoxide in the room the two men were sharing.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus carried out a sweep of the hotel to check levels of the deadly gas, the London Fire Brigade said.

A spokesman added: “Crews isolated the gas supply and ventilated the building.”

Some 29 people were evacuated from the hotel, which remains closed although the scene is now safe, police added.

A Met Police spokesman said: ‘Police were called at 13:48hrs on Monday, March 5 to a hotel in Trebovir Road, Kensington following reports of a male found deceased and another person taken ill.

‘Officers attended with London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade colleagues also in attendance.

‘A male was pronounced dead at the scene. Officers are working to inform next of kin. A post-mortem will be held in due course. At this early stage the death is being treated as unexplained.

‘Another male aged in his 30s has been taken to hospital where he remains in a critical condition.

‘An investigation is being undertaken by Kensington & Chelsea CID in conjunction with the Health and Safety Executive.

‘Initial tests indicated a high reading of carbon monoxide, though the investigation has not yet concluded.’

The hotel could not be reached for comment at the time.

The Mayflower is a family-owned four-star boutique part of The Mayflower Collection of hotels. The property operates alongside the New Linden Hotel and Twenty Nevern Square in the portfolio which was founded in 1999.

Tags : emergencygashotelsLondon.
Zoe Monk

The author Zoe Monk

Leave a Response