Launching their dog-friendly holiday division in 2014, PetsPyjamas has been a driving force in the shift towards dog-friendly travel, staying ahead of the curve to offer owners and their pets all the barks and whistles of the latest trends included in their exclusive packages.
Doubling in size year on year, PetsPyjamas travel business shows no signs of slowing down either, with 30% of their customers planning to take at least two trips away with their dog next year – 87% of which will be taken inside the UK.
Here they pinpoint six trends that will see pet owners travelling in 2019.
- #DogsofInstagram Adventures – popular dog influencers including award-winning Spaniel Life show their pets ‘living their best life’ in idyllic moments on pretty beaches, by breathtaking lakes, picturesque cliff tops and more. Where influencers go, a millennial follows so getaways that have the Insta-factor are expected to appeal to the younger, image-conscious dog owner. In fact, one in five of PetsPyjamas customers revealed they are most attracted to exterior shots of a property and its surrounding when booking.
- Rest & Rover – in the fast-paced, all-consuming world we now live in, high stress levels and an inability to switch off are just a couple of the daily worries of modern life. Time spent with your dog is a proven and great distraction, be it for a long mind-clearing walk or a cosy afternoon cuddling on the sofa. So, as life’s pressure cooker continues to bubble, PetsPyjamas predicts that guests will look more to their dogs for R&R and digital detox.
- It’s All About The Dog – according to data research company Mintel, millennials and young couples are fuelling a major boom in spending on pets, with a predicted 25% increase over the next five years on the estimated £1.7bn owners will spend on their pets in 2018. But when a dog has more clothes, gourmet treats and pet tech gadgets than they can shake their favourite stick at, pet owners will look for new ways to reward their furry friend’s affections, making a stay where the dog really is the star of the show predicted as the ultimate pet gift.
- Dog-friendly Mini Moons – expensive wedding costs, event planning fatigue and restrictions on time off work has made the mini-moon – taken often in the UK, an increasingly popular choice for modern newlyweds. Dogs owners have the added issue and cost of what to do with their dog if planning a trip away after their wedding. In 2018, PetsPyjamas saw a rise in the increase of customer requests for post-wedding getaways and with dogs considered part of the family and so easy to slot into domestic holiday plans, they expect these enquiries only to rise.
- Four-Legged Festival Petaways – hosted by Chris Packham, dog-centric festival Dogstival launches in May with live music, artisan food and drink, a vintage funfair, a dog-friendly beach and more. Set in the New Forest, the heart of doggy paradise, with a wealth of dog-friendly hotels, properties, walks and stuff to do with your dog in the area, PetsPyjamas expects out of towners will make a weekend of it.
- Sniffer Trips – With staycationing being a massively popular choice for dog owners, PetsPyjamas has seen a rise in multi-stop trips around the UK, which they believe will be a trend for adventure lovers in 2019. Their Pet Concierge team are experts at planning the perfect getaway to suit all kinds of budgets, tastes and dogs.