Two empty office buildings in Leicester have been transformed into a new £1.8m boutique hotel.
The site, adjacent to a car park where King Richard III’s remains were discovered, has been converted into the 28-bedroom St Martins Lodge in a project headed up by Building Services Design (BSD).
The new hotel will help to cater for demand from the neighbouring conference and events centre, St Martins House, which regularly hosts weddings and events, adding to the room capacity available.
BSD provided mechanical and electrical engineering services for the Grade II-listed Georgian buildings, with many of the original features being retained – including the hallway, with its chandelier and staircase.
As 40% of the hotel, located directly opposite Leicester Cathedral, is of listed status, all original internal cornices, ceilings and floors are having to be retained.
Nick Quinn, director of St Martins House, said: “With our neighbouring conference and events centre, St Martins House, located only a few steps away, we are now able to offer a 24-hour conference rate – including overnight accommodation with breakfast – alongside our function run hire and catering facilities.
“This is frequently requested by conference and wedding hosts so St Martins Lodge is now meeting a known demand and adding to the room capacity available for business and for tourism in the city.”
Richard III was buried more than 500 years ago following his death at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485. His remains were discovered by archaeologists in 2012 underneath a Leicester City Council car park. The king was reinterred in Leicester Cathedral in 2015.